Join us for a guided kayaking adventure at Wildcat Cove in Larrabee State Park. Includes “hands-on” instruction to acquaint new paddlers with safety procedures and equipment. Book your ocean kayak adventure online today!
Wild Foraging Educational Trip – Lummi Island
- Adult Ages 17+
- Private Group Private Group up to 16 people
- Large Group Private large Group
Kayak and Forage at the Beautiful Lummi Island, Washington!
A short 20 minute drive from Bellingham, you arrive at a quaint little ferry landing, where you will catch a short six minute ferry ride to the beautiful Lummi Island, population 964. This slow-paced, magical little island will inspire you to relax and enjoy the rhythms of the island life.
Our Wild Foraging Educational Tour is similar to our full-day Lummi Island Tour in route and length. But on this specific trip, we will take more time to explore “sea food,” learn sustainable harvesting methods, rules and regulations, as well as receive a Wild Foraging Educational packet, developed by Jennifer Hahn, author of Pacific Feast: “A Cook’s Guide to West Coast Foraging”. If the season allows, we will enjoy a wild foraged snack along the way. These trips are scheduled around some of the lowest tides of the month, therefore are limited in availability. Please check our calendar for our suggested dates to book. However, if you would like to request another date, please don’t hesitate to ask just know that the diversity of intertidal and sea foraged snacks be more limited due to the tides. Generally we focus on edible kelp and seaweed!
Enjoy the San Juan Islands without the hassle of long ferry lines and short travel time!
- 10:30am: Meet your Guide at Legoe Bay, get outfitted and help move boats to the water.
- 10:40am: Discuss kayak safety, paddling technique, and the day’s route.
- 11:00am On the water! Enjoy the views, explore the coastline, and learn about the plants, animals, and history of the Salish Sea. Focus being on Wild Foraging and sustainable foraging practice.
- 12:30pm: Take a leisurely lunch break on an beautiful Island, or pebbled beach- explore and relax.
- 1:30pm: Back in the boats, there’s more to see!
- 2:30pm: Land back at Legoe Bay. Load boats and return safety gear.
- 3:00pm: Return to Ferry landing, so long for now!
- Stable Fiberglass Tandem Sea Kayaks
- All related kayaking safety equipment (paddle, pfd, spray skirt, etc).
- Lunch (Healthy & local food) – please be sure to let us know about any food allergies or preferences in advance.
- Fun, safe and informative sea kayak guide!
- One wild foraged snack (snack depends on season and availability).
- Sustainable Foraging information and safe harvesting practices.
- Launch permits/fees
- Personal kayak clothing and/or footwear
- Personal water and water bottle
- Ferry Ride or transportation
Check the Gear list on our website. Detailed driving directions, ferry info and gear list emailed upon booking.
Moderate physical ability and willingness to paddle up to 2 hours at a time. This is one of our longest day trip routes. Expect to paddle 7-8 miles round trip. All guests are required to sign a liability release form upon arrival. Kayak weight limit is 250 LBS per person.
During summer 2022 masks are optional, please bring your own if you plan to wear one while on land.
Available for active Military and their immediate family, K-12 school teachers or faculty. Contact us after the booking to receive a discount