Multi-Day Kayaking Trips
Cypress, Sucia & Lummi Islands
These longer trips are true vacation adventures! Learn to apply new found navigation skills and gain the paddling confidence these extended trips provide. Visit several islands from base camps you will set up along the way. Enjoy healthy, northwest influenced meals prepared and served by your guides or choose to cater your own trip and save a little money. Watch the cold fire of bioluminescence light up the sea, or paddle out for a moonlight excursion. Glide silently through the intertidal bays, reflect, relax, hike or fish as you explore these beautiful islands. As each day passes, your heart will get lighter and your smile will get wider.
Private trips available to book now. Contact us for more information!Book online now!
We love this trip! Avoid the ferry hassles and enjoy this mountainous island that offers wildness unsurpassed in the San Juan archipelago. Cypress Island is the largest undeveloped island in the San Juan Islands and there is no ferry access! Currently surveyors on Cypress Island have identified 142 species of birds (plus 50 sighted, but undocumented bird species) and over 264 plant species! And that is just above the waterline! This kind of biodiversity puts Cypress Island into “world class” status (shhhh don’t tell anyone because we want to keep it this way).
The two campsites we use are primitive with inspiring views of Mt. Baker an, all from the window of your tent. Hike our favorite trail 1.3 miles up to Eagle Cliff where your view of the San Juans Islands will be expansive and breathtaking. If you are quiet enough you might just hear a Falcon soaring below the cliffs edge, or see Bald Eagles perched in the tree’s below. We have topped out on many of the San Juan Islands and this view is by far our favorite. Don’t worry if you still want more hiking, you will have nearly 15 miles of hiking trails to explore during your stay.
Time and weather permitting, we will paddle to Strawberry Island for a lunch exploration – keep your eyes out we often see Porpoise playing in the tidal currents surrounding this beautiful Nature Conservancy Island! Click here for more information about Cypress Island and the Natural Resources Conservation Area.
Enjoy a scenic ferry ride to Orcas Island in the heart of the San Juan Islands where we will launch our kayaks for 2-5 days of exploration. We will plan to paddle to Sucia Island (weather dependent) and set up a base camp from which to enjoy a variety of interesting day paddles as well as glorious sunsets and the opportunity for a day or overnight trip to either Matia or Patos Island.
Sucia Sample Itinerary:
- Day 1: Group Meets @ North Beach on Orcas Island at Noon. Meet group/guides, pack boats, organize gear, and safety discussion.
Launch and paddle to first night’s camp. Evening dinner at sunset with a campfire and s’mores to follow.
- Day 2: (weather dependent) Circumnavigate Sucia Island taking breaks to explore the beautiful scenery and wildlife, stopping for lunch mid way through. Dinner back at camp, optional group games, fire chat, relax, with potential for a night paddle in one of the protected bays of Sucia.
- Day 3: (weather dependent) Free time to explore and hike on Sucia island one last time. Head to Matia Island – set up camp – back in boats to circumnavigate the island with a beach front lunch. Late afternoon time to explore Matia and the Old Growth forest by foot before enjoying a relaxing dinner and dutch oven dessert.
- Day 4: Morning paddle back to North Beach. De-issue gear, good-bye’s, off to catch the ferry or explore more of Orcas Island. So long for now!
No previous paddling experience is necessary. Paddlers from novice to experienced are welcome and there will be something for everyone, but you will need to be in good physical shape and be able to sit in a boat for long periods of time. Must be able to paddle for up to 3 hours at a time. Our boats generally fit folks up to 6’7″ and 265LBS comfortably. If you are near those specifications, or are concerned about comfort in a sea kayak, please give us a call. A detailed gear list will be sent to you once you have reserved your trip.
Have all the camping gear already and just need a kayak guide? No problem! We offer fully-catered or self-catered options to work with your budget and preferences. Read below to see what is best for you. If you have any questions or want to customize your trip, please don’t hesitate to contact us, we love helping your adventure dreams come true!
Multi-Day Booking Options
**Fully Catered Trips Include**
- Camping Equipment (tent, sleeping bags, sleeping pads)
- All meals on the entire trip cooked and prepared by your lovely guides
- Morning Coffee and Tea
- An awesome kayak guide to keep you safe and informed on the water, share their local knowledge and expertise of the beautiful areas we explore
**Self-Catered Trips Include**
- Paddling Equipment (boats, life-jacket (pfd), paddles, dry bags, etc.)
- An Awesome kayak guide to keep you safe and informed on the water, share their local knowledge and expertise of the beautiful areas we explore.
**All Trips Include**
- Sea-worthy Northwest tandem fiberglass sea kayaks
- Werner Sea Kayak Paddles
- Bilge Pump
- Dry bags (for clothing and personal items)
- Detailed Packing List
- Catered Adult: 3 Day: $649.00 4 Day: $745.00 5 Day: $875.00
- Catered Youth: (12-17) 3 Day: $625.00 4 Day: $725.00 5 Day: $850.00
- Self -Catered: 3 Day: $499.00 4 Day: $575.00 5 Day: $635.00
2 Day-3 DayBook online now!
Price: $275.00 – $375
Looking for a quick escape from all the hustle and bustle? Look no further. These quick, yet relaxing and fun excursions are all about getting the most out of our paddle time while still being able to sleep under the stars and fall asleep to the musical rhythms of soft waves. By day we will explore the natural beauty off the bows of our boats as we adventure around some of the less traveled parts of Lummi Island. Jam packed and meant for those who are traveling on a budget or a tight schedule we offer lots of customizable options, below is our “Standard Lummi Island Multi-Day” package, keep in mind we are happy to rearrange to meet your needs for a private sea kayaking adventure!
Day 1: Our adventure will begins meeting your guide, learning to outfit your boat and review kayak safety information and the days route of aprx. 7-8 miles of paddling for our first day. Beach lunch, beautiful scenery and the gentle sound of moving water as you lay your head down, under the night sky.
Day 2: Wake up the songs of birds chirpping and coffee/Tea boiling. Enjoy a wonderful breakfast prepared by your guides. Pack gear and (weather permitting) we will head around the southern end of Lummi Island and head towards Lummi Rocks (Nature Conservancy Protected Island) for a lunch break and wrap up our trip in Legoe Bay. That’s right – if the weather allows we will be able to kayak more than half of Lummi Island without paddling the same coastline twice! Moondance will shuttle you back to vehicles or choose to stay a little longer and enjoy a meal at the Beach Store Cafe or The Willows Inn.
Day 3 (Optional): If you choose 3 days of paddling our second day will be spent on a beautiful day paddle, leaving our cozy camp set up to come back to when our full-day of paddling and beachside lunch are complete. Enjoy once more a tasty meal prepared by your guide and sleeping to the sounds of the ocean. Your last morning you will paddle back to your vehicles. Depending on tides, this trip generally wraps up before 3pm. This specific 3 Day trip is a great way to break up the kayaking miles, but still enjoy all the same great scenery and exploration!
In order to keep the cost of this particular trip down, we ask that you pack your own camping gear (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, etc.) and lunch for day 1. We do realize not everyone has their own gear. If you need to rent equipment from Moondance please contact us about our rental availability. See additional prices below.
- Tents = $45
- Sleeping Bag = $25
- Sleeping Pad $20
- Small Camp Chair = $10
Lummi Multi-Day Trip Includes:
- Tandem Fiberglass sea worthy sea kayaks (made in WA State)
- Werner Sea Kayak Paddles (also WA State)
- Spray Skirts (also WA State)
- Dry Bags to pack your personal items (1 20 litre and 1 10 litre usually suffice)
- Bilge Pumps and other kayaking related safety equiptment
- Professional & fun sea kayak guide to assist in your adventure!
- Dinner, Breakfast and Lunch on day 2
- Morning coffee/Tea
What do I need to bring?
- Personal Clothing and Footwear
- Personal Toiletries
- Brimmed Hat (for sun) and Warm Hat
- Tent (with good rainfly)
- Sleeping Bag (20 degrees, no cotton please)
- Sleeping Pad
- Small camp chair (optional)
- Personal Water Bottle
- Lunch for yourself on day 1
A detailed gear list as well as driving and meeting directions will be sent to you with your confirmation email, but to prepare for your trip, please click here to review our 2-3 day gear list!
*Multi-day trips requires a minimum of 2 people to run a trip to meet our on water safety guidelines. Please contact us if you do not see the dates you are looking for on the book now page.
-To view more trip photos please click our BOOK NOW button where you can scroll through the desired trip photos.
Multi-Day Kayaking with Mothership Support
Paddle the best islands. Dine in style. Sleep in comfort.
New for 2017! It’s time to explore the northern San Juan Archipelago in a different way. Moondance Sea Kayak Adventures has teamed up with the M/V Snow Goose to offer a multi-day kayak exploration with a twist. Accessing the northern San Juan Island chain in a kayak presents itself with multiple challenges, but when you’re silently gliding past the sandstone formations you’ll understand the draw. The Snow Goose is your support vessel, equipped with all the amenities you’d find at home. She will transport our kayaks through major crossings and offload you and your kayak when the time is right. Out of sight, but not out of contact, you’ll navigate unique islands with your guide until you arrive at your evenings lodging. Exhilarated with your accomplishment you’ll be ready for a hot meal and warm bed. With renewed energy, the morning is welcomed with another day of exploration to new waters. Trips only available Spring and Late Fall.
Sucia Island, Cypress Island and Lummi Island Adventures 2017 : Contact Us for more info!